Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Leviticus 1-3

*Note- Yesterday when I originally posted this, I had posted it as Numbers 1-3... But I really was in Leviticus. Enjoy!

I am reading Leviticus right now. I'm not sure why Leviticus, but that is where I am. This morning I read the first three chapters. To sum it all up, it is about what you are giving to the Lord. It is very redundant- which says to me there must be something in this. Bring your first fruits- bring your best. No matter what you bring, in this case as an offering- grain, animal, fruit, honey, bread- make sure it is your best. Sure there are guidelines, such as this one found in 2:12 AMP "As an offering of firstfruits you may offer leaven and honey to the Lord, but they shall not be burned on the altar for a sweet odor [to the Lord, for their aid to fermentation is symbolic of corruption in the human heart]."

Fermentation is symbolic of corruption in the human heart... WOW. So now I'm asking myself, 'what is fermenting in my offering to the Lord?'

Unfortunately, I've come up with a ton of stuff. Until you really ask that question and mean it- you've got to mean it- you go around thinking 'I'm okay. I don't hurt anybody with my tv watching. The shows that I choose I wouldn't let my kids watch, but they are fine for me. The books I read aren't influencing my life any. That friend is so much fun! Why would that person be bad for me? I don't need to take care of this body. One day I'll live in Heaven and this body won't matter then.'

I'm feeling convicted here. If our lives are meant to be an offering to God, and our offerings are to be of the first fruits- the best of what we have to give- How can I rationalize away those first fruits. That makes me no better than Cain who eventually killed Abel because of his jealousy of God's favor.

I know the first thing I am going to work on is taking better care of this body. Last year I lost nearly 45 lbs and as I sit here typing a year after beginning that diet, I am right back to where I was. I have let a worldy injustice rob me of my health and of my first fruit offering to God. If you are reading this and see me with something not so good for me and it is not one of my three cheat meals in the week (One each day- Friday-Dinner, Saturday- Dinner, & Sunday- Lunch) I give you permission to remind me of my first fruits and ask me if I am giving my best to my Lord.

What areas of your life are you letting ferment and corrupt your heart? What do you need to lay at the feet of Jesus and say:

"Lord, You have power of this area in my life. I have been letting things of this world, desires of my flesh, and selfishness keep me from giving You the best of what I have to offer. Walk along side me, Lord, and help me when I am weak. Take away this sin and replace it with good and righteous habits. Make my heart renewed with a desire to serve You and offer You my best. For it is only my best that pleases You, only my best that You deserve. In Jesus' name, Amen!"

No comments: